|City of Santee Ordinance Regarding the Keeping of Fowl
Each city has their own requirements pertaining to the keeping of fowl. The City of Santee recently amended its Municipal Code to allow for the keeping of hens in all our Single-Family Residential zones (roosters are not permitted).
Before you decide to keep your own backyard chickens, it is important to know your zoning and set-back requirements, as well as the number of birds allowed. The primary Code Section pertaining to chickens, Section 17.10.030.F, is available online at http://qcode.us/codes/santee/. You are also encouraged to check with the Planning Department for more information at (619) 258-4100 extension 152.
Health & Safety:
General Care and Information:
The following are just a few titles that are available to help people considering whether or not to keep chickens, many of which are available at your local library:
- The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi
- Story Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow
- Chicken Health Book by Gail Damerow
- Chicken Coops: 45 Building Plans by Judy Pangman
- Raising Chickens the Modern Way by Leonard Mercia
- Chickens in Your Backyard by Rick & Gail Luttman
- Keep Chickens! By Barbara Kilarski
Last updated date: 1/26/2012 5:15:00 PM